Friday, June 21, 2013

2013 New Blogger Blog Hop

Welcome to my stop on the 2013 "Let's Get Acquainted" New Blogger Blog Hop hosted by Plum and June! 

Plum and June 
 

 My name is Jackie and I live in Oregon with the "Hubs" and two boys ages 8 and 11.  As much as I like to be inside sewing, we like our time outdoors. Horses are a huge part of our life.  He has been involved with the rodeo scene since he was little and I'm an avid trail rider.  Now the boys are learning to rope as well.

My oldest on his new horse
 
This is my horse, Claire
 
I have been sewing since I was little and quilting since the early 90's.  I also like to embroider and crochet.  Here's a mosaic of some of the things I have made for Bees,QAL's, ect.



1. Stash Bee hive 2 March block, 2. Stash Bee Hive #2 April block, 3. July block #2, 4. String me along..., 5. Spider web block, 6. Stash Bee Hive#3 Sept. block, 7. Garden Steps QAL, 8. Birdie Stitches BOM 2011, 9. Dancing Stars QAL, 10. Soccer quilt, 11. January Block-Grandmother's Frame, 12. Mario Bros. QAL, 13. Stash Bee Hive#2 March block, 14. Embroidery 101 QAL, 15. Block 1- Woodpecker, 16. Bee Sew Modern- April block for me, 17. "Pointy"from the Star Collection, 18. "Dizzy" from the Star Collection, 19. block #4-- Maple & Red Fox, 20. Bee Sew Modern -- April, 21. Take Time To..., 22. Bee Sew Modern - May, 23. Bee Sew Modern-May block for Anna, 24. Block #10 - Squirrel, 25. Bee Sew Modern - June for Allison


What is my style of quilting?  I don't really know.  There is so many versions of what is modern. I like a little bit of everything :) I guess I really like the modern twist that gets put with traditional blocks.  Paper piecing is my all time favorite! I also enjoy a little woodworking as you can see in my post here on my sewing room shelves.  Of course my stash has grown since this picture :) 

 
 
 What brand of sewing machine do I use?  I just bought a new one.  A Bernina 550QE with a stitch regulator.  I love it! Learning to FMQ has gone pretty smooth with that feature.  I love being able to finish my own quilts.
 
What is on my design wall?  A lot!  I have 2 quilts going on at the same time.  First is the Sister's Ten BOM from Gen X Quilters.  I am loving that quilt so far.  It is the first time using yarn dyed essex linen. I love it and would definitely use it again.  Second is the blocks from the Forest QAL.  Now that its time to put them together, I'm going to have to move the other ones.  I have sketched out my plans for a layout and can't wait to get started.  Here are the June blocks for the Sister's Ten : Contrary Wife.
 
 
 
 
 
 
What is in my stash?  I like bright rainbow colors with small scale prints, solids, black and whites, text prints and some neutrals to even everything out.  I don't care for batiks.  I also belong to the Stash Stack Club so every month Pink Castle sends a bundle my way.  If you would like more info on this club please click on the button in my side bar. 
 
 
I also like all the low volume prints that are out now.  I would love to build a stash of those as well.  In fact, I just started sign ups for a low volume fat eighth swap over on flickr.  I am hoping to get 16 slots filled so if you are interested in swapping some of those low volume beauties head over and sign up. http://www.flickr.com/groups/2252931@N23/
 
Well I hope you have enjoyed learning a little about me.  I know I have really enjoyed reading everyone's posts.  I have found lots of new blogs to follow.  Thank you Beth for such a great hop and all your hard work in putting it together!  Here is the rest of the schedule:
 
Friday, June 21

Leigh Anne @ Ella's Cottage


Sarah @ Quilt Candy

Jackie @ NW Patchwork  *That's Me! *


Erica @ Happy Fabric

Stephanie @ Simple Sewendipity

Lauren @ Seraphym




Friday, June 28

Green @ So Sew Green

Gwendellyn @ The Rainbow Revolts




Michelle @ Factotum Of Arts


Kris @ Sew Sunshine

Camilla @ Faffling



Friday, July 5

Christa @ Christa Quilts!




Stephanie @ Quarter Incher






July 12


Anne @ PlayCrafts








July 19





Ella and Nesta @ Ella & Nesta's Little Room



Aylin @ AyliN-Nilya

Kelsey and Amanda @ Everyday Fray



July 26


RobinSue @ RobinSue Quilts

Elisa Lea @ Lovelea Designs

Elizabeth @ In The Boon Docks




Emily @ Sew E.T.
 
 


50 comments:

  1. Nice to read more about you! I just got a 550 QE too and absolutely LOVE it! and I am so jealous of all of your shelving! Everything looks so neat and organized!

    :) Kelly@ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your shelving - that is so great that you made them yourself! And are those piles of vintage sheets? If my daughters were reading this with me (they are similar in age to your sons), they would be SO jealous about the horses!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really loved everything I saw in your mosaic. And your fabric stash is great! Very nice to meet you! I know what we you about loving quilting and the outdoors calling at the same time! lol I am a new follower and I am heading over to flickr to check out the low volume group! jan@http://sewandsowfarm.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, I love your project mosaic... you have a lot of great stuff there. I think my favourite's the black and white quilt with the stars, the yellow works so well against the dark background. I must say I'm quite jealous of the shelving, I have a small cupboard tucked away behind a chair that I have to clamber over!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely to meet you! Love your stash shelving and your horses are beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so jealous of your fabulously organized sewing room. I will get over it. Your blocks are fabulous, but I am particularly taken with your Mario mushroom. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there! Nice to meet you. Your stash shelving is a.maz.ing!! Great idea to do a project mosaic - it's a great way to get a sense of your overall style, and I love it all!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am WAY envious of your shelved stash. I just showed it to my husband and he just raised his eyebrows at me lol!! Your Chicopee Sisters 10 blocks look fantastic. Is that Essex yarn-dyed that you're using as a background?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow-you've been busy! Such pretty things-that woodpecker is amazing. And your horse is beautiful! They are such beautiful, intelligent animals:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great to meet you! I'm totally in love with paper piecing as well. And I may just join in the fabric swap....sounds pretty tempting!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing a little bit about you, Jackie. Sew glad you signed up for the summer blog hop! I especially like your paper pieced blocks! Good for you building your shelves. Is there anything you can't do? BTW... Claire looks like a real sweetie.

    Lorna:)
    http://sewfreshquilts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. It was lovely reading about you Jackie your finished projects are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, nice to meet you. That is a fab mosaic, you have been a busy girl!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So nice to meet you through the hop, I really like your Chicopee blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely quilts and blocks. You have been really busy. I look forward to seeing more of what you do. I'm a new follower on bloglovin.
    Gorgeous horses, too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ohhh, your quilt blocks for the sisters 10 are really fun - love the chicopee. Nice collection of vintage sheets - I do so like those myself and may or may not have a few!!!! Hee hee!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So interesting to meet people with such different lives! I really like your low volume stash,that's going to be an inspiration! Some great projects in that mosaic!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great post! I love your last two blocks. You did a great job on those!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great intro....what a pleasure to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, your horse is gorgeous! So cool that you have another interest as well as quilting - have you ever been tempted to make a horse quilt? Your chicopee blocks are lovely - nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Jackie....so happy to meet you on this hop! Beautiful projects and wonderful horse! I am headed over to check out the low volume swap. Hope to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow do you get props for that organization!! (What with all the outdoor distractions, and whatnot, too!) Love the mosaic, and you should check out Artisania's "peeping horse" pattern -- given your equestrian lifestyle and your affinity for paper piecing, I think you'll like what you see ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the horse picture! So dramatic! I am so impressed that you have been quilting for so long. I can imagine you have so many wonderful stories and memories of all your projects! Nice to meet you on this blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great projects in your mosaic. Do you remember where you got the squirrel pattern? Love squirrels and I'd love to try it even though I've only done paper piecing a few times. The shelves in your studio are awesome! That's what I need, hehe. Thanks for sharing about yourself, great post.

    usairdoll(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  25. WOW, respect about the horses... So nice to read about you and your lovely quilt - work!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great blog hop post! I love your rainbow quilts, and the black and white with the stars. Others have said it, but the shelving is so good. If you ever feel like making some more, feel free to drop round my house!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Nice to meet you! It's a shame there are only 7 days in a week to spread between our quilting and all our other interests!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Nice to get to know you a bit! Claire is beautiful and those are some great shelves:)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Low volume is lovely, isn't it? Interesting how they've caught on in the past few months, I've been seeing more and more people fall in love c: It's so cool that you guys do horse stuff, too! I had some family with a few horses, I miss riding.

    Love your Forest QAL blocks!! I've started one but like, barely started. They were very, very complex for someone just starting paper piecing!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Nice to meet you Jackie. Great post! I really like that photo of your shelves and the last two blocks are fab! (I love Chicopee)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Loved reading a little about you and see your likes. Wow...nice shelves and what a stash! I've not tried paper piecing, but yours are beautiful. I really like the "Contrary Wife" block.
    Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Response to your comment: Oh! I plan to try paper piecing soon! I'm a teacup, doily, kind of lady...and just found a book on both subjects. It makes a china cabinet of teapots and cups by paper piecing. It's sitting on one of my tables as a "soon as I can" project.
    Thanks for the encouragement to try something new!

    ReplyDelete
  33. jackie! i truly don't know which one of your projects is my favorite! you have such beautiful projects and i love so many of them! that mosaic - i could stare at it all day! also, completely jealous of the horses and your stash shelves! whoa! xo, ashley

    ReplyDelete
  34. Great introduction post, I think paper piecing is fast becoming my favourite technique.

    ReplyDelete
  35. So great to meet you on the hop! We are bee mates in Stash Bee so it it wonderful to get to know you more!

    ReplyDelete
  36. So nice to meet you! Looking forward to seeing more from you.

    ReplyDelete
  37. A fellow Sisters Ten BOM-er! :) Lovely to meet ypu through the Hop! Looks like you do a lot of bee blocks - is it hard to find the time for that?

    ReplyDelete
  38. Oh, I love your paper pieced squirrel block! Is that from the Forest QAL? I also really like your pixelated Super Mushroom--my son would love a quilt featuring Mario icons!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Your horses are absolutely gorgeous! Your low volume swap sounds fantastic ( I just signed up on flickr!). I also really love that Soccer quilt that you posted. The color combination is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Nice to meet you! My husband grew up in Bend. You have some lovely makes. Going to snoop around.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Wow, you are multi-talented!! Loved seeing all your projects, especially the paper piecing. I've been eyeing those Forest QAL blocks lately.

    ReplyDelete
  42. NIce to meet you! Love the mosaic of your work. So many different ideas and techniques. I can't choose a favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Hi Jackie, lovely to meet you via the Blog Hop. I love the two black and white blocks in your mosaic, Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  44. That squirrel block is super cute. Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  45. It's lovely to meet you, it sounds like you have a wonderful outdoor life working with those gorgeous horses. And your stash is enviable. You have so many wonderful makes in that collage!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Your paper piecing blocks are great! I'm scared to try that Forest QAL... Nice shelves too - they look pretty full in that photo!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Hey girl! Sorry I'm a bit late in throwing some LGA love your way as a fellow hop member! I need to get on this Essex Linen train, I love it's colour and texture!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Great post! Maybe you could do a paper piecing how-to someday. I just tried it for the first time and it was not easy for me. I do a little bit of crocheting too, so I look forward to seeing more of your crocheted work.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Wonderful post! I love those sewing room shelves you created they are beautiful and look great packed full of sewing goodies!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...